How Green Becomes Wood

"I don't know what I'll do when I can't maintain my own garden," Daizi admitted, heading downstairs to the kitchen, "I really don't. I suppose I have to hope one of my children will, but I don't want to make them feel like they can't move away. I suppose I can always hire someone. But it makes me sad, I've put so much work into it..." She sighed, setting the tray on the counter before heading to the garment, stopping by Dark and Ivy, "With how much you've moved, it makes sense why you've never begun planting. It requires literally setting down roots."

Sally chuckled and nodded. "This is true. It is not an easy thing." She opened the door and held it for Daizi, just because she wanted to, and then began walking through the flowers. She talked of lighter subjects, asking Daizi about the different flowers and what they were called, and, of course, smelling several. She took her time enjoying the garden, but she didn't dawdle, and soon, it was time to head back inside. Sally thanked Daizi again, told Dark how beautiful Ivy was with him, and called a farewell to the twins before leaving to head back to her own home.

Daizi walked with her, glad to have some time to talk casually about pleasant, happy things, and glad as always to talk about the work she had done in her garden. Naturally, she told her all about Ivy's first tooth, and how weird it was that she was already old enough to be sprouting teeth, and her worries about being bit now that the first had sprouted. She was a little disappointed when it was time for Sally to go home, but said that now that everyone was home, she'd be able to visit with her much more. Dark made his polite greetings and goodbyes to his wife's friend, and once Sally had gone, Daizi took Ivy, knowing it was nearing her next feeding.

"He's just been a bit withdrawn, I guess, but that's all," Daizi said, snuggling Ivy who grabbed onto Alec's hand once it was in reach. She thought about saying a bit more, but letting the twins lead the conversation made it seem less like she was trying to learn more.

Alec grinned when Ivy grabbed his hand and ran his thumb over her fingers. "He has been a little distracted and preoccupied lately."

"A little?" Xander snorted. "He's even got Milo noticing and concerned." Well, concern was probably a little strong, but good enough.

"True," Alec admitted, "but he told me it was for a surprise. Something good! I'm not sure who for, though."

"If it's something like that, then I'm glad." Daizi concluded, absolutely planning to text Sally that later, "I'm glad it's not something worse, I know how difficult high school can be, even you aren't going through traumatizing experiences, it can still take a toll on your mental health. I just wish he had mentioned it to his mom, though, so she didn't have to worry," she chuckled, "but moms always worry, I think it's the law or something."

"It would have been kind if he had, but sometimes people don't realize how worrying their behaviour is until it's pointed out to them." Daizi reminded them carefully, thinking more about her husband than Peter, "That's why communication is important going both ways, even though it's not always easy to have that conversation."

"That makes sense," Alec agreed.

Xander grumbled quietly but then told Daizi about the horse program he'd found while holding out a small toy to Ivy. Alec stayed where he was until it was time for Ivy's next feeding. Then he and Xander left the room, telling Daizi to be comfortable where she was. They could be comfy wherever.

Daizi, like Dark, was very proud Xander had decided to take that step, and made him promise to tell her if there was anything she could do to support him. Even though she didn't need their permission to nurse, she still felt grateful they were empathetic enough to let her stay down in the living room while she did, rather than expecting her to shuffle off alone somewhere. There had been a lot of difficulties over winter break, with Ivy being so new, so frail, and so exhausting, but looking back, one of the most difficult parts was trying to nurse her without feeling alone in the world, or like she was doing something wrong. Those weren't feelings she still had: Ivy had fewer feedings, anyway, but also they had enough of a rhythm it wasn't much of an issue.

There was an overall pattern to the week. Dark was still having trouble pulling himself out of bed in the morning, occasionally spending the day in his pajamas, which was unlike him, although Daizi took special care to help him with his hair and skincare, because she knew he'd regret it if he let it slip. But during the day, at least, he acted more or less like his usual self, except for his occasional disassociation. It was only during the night that he couldn't keep it up anymore, although he tried. A few nights he excused himself early from the dinner table, citing exhaustion, which he would play off as catching up on sleep he missed during the school year or underestimating how much work it took being with Ivy all day, every day, now that she was so much bigger and more active. Other nights he wouldn't go to bed at all.

The Friday after Sally's visit, after almost a full week of vacation, Daizi waited in her bedroom for hours after putting Ivy to bed for Dark to come up. She knew he wouldn’t sleep, but even in times like this, he always at least tried to. But she waited, sitting on the edge of their bed, for him to walk in. All she wanted to do, really, was to tell him she loved him and wish him goodnight, because although she had told him after catching him fighting hard to keep himself safe they needed to talk about it, and she told him again after he had cut his hand, she couldn’t force him to speak. Ripping open that door was just as bad as letting it go unaddressed, she knew that. This wasn’t their first time in this battle. But the longer she waited, the more her chest squeezed. After all these years together, it wasn’t like she could say this was the worst he’d ever been, which she was grateful for, but it was the worst he had been in awhile. The worst he had been since they had become parents. Dark had struggled, of course, they had both struggled. The entire period when Ivy was in the hospital, even though it was only two weeks—it was difficult for Daizi to process it had been such a short period of time, it felt like ages longer—was such a strange combination of the truest joy and the worst agony. She wondered if there would ever come a time when she thought about those days without her heart being pierced. And Dark was hurting then, too, but differently, and in those dreamlike days, neither of them particularly felt like people, which didn’t change much after discharge, especially after the calls started coming.

And when Declan showed up, Dark had hurt then, too. So did she. Because they had grown to love those two boys, and grown to love them sooner than they returned the feeling, she thought, and it seemed Declan was pulling them apart. Even in the moment, both she and Dark could tell it was all, more or less, a game to that man who had sired sons and fled, only to return and flee again. The coward. But there was no rule book, there was no guidance, no real help, and they were overwhelmed, burnt out, and spread thin, but they couldn’t really rest. Someone had to be there to pick up the pieces.

At that particular moment, as Daizi sat on the edge of her marriage bed, in silence, straining her ears to hear the steady footsteps of her husband approach their room, she was being eaten up by the thought: Was this, Dark’s current state, her fault? He had been through so much over the last year and a half. And so had she, but she had been in such a fragile state with the pregnancy and then being postpartum, and maybe, had she not been so vulnerable… Daizi bounced one leg and fiddled with her wedding ring, wondering if Dark’s current problem was because she hadn’t given him space to feel his feelings, when all of the past year’s changes and struggles came at them. She had tried to, but maybe she just… hadn’t been as supportive as she was supposed to have been. They had communicated through all of it, but if he had been withholding, and now he was being hit with all of what he had suppressed, for her sake?

No. Daizi forced herself to take a breath and stand up. She knew she did the best she could in those moments, when she could. Obviously, she couldn’t support him equally when she was recovering from birth—she was recovering from birth. Nobody would expect her to be as strong as him, then. And throughout all of it they held each other. She loved him, and had done her best for him, and she remembered all the late nights they spent up with each other and sharing everything with each other. Maybe all their recent struggles were catching up to him, and maybe she could’ve done more, but she did all that she could. All that was left was dealing with the present.

Xander woke when Alec rolled over, mumbling, and smacked him across the chest with his arm. He groaned and inched his way out of bed, feeling incredibly crowded. He sat on the edge of the bed and shook himself with a yawn. Ugh. Well, he was awake now. Maybe he could get a drink and try bedtime part two. He stood and stretched before looking for his shirt. He never slept in a shirt, but he never left his room without it.

She found him sitting alone on the couch, and his silence couldn’t drown out the sounds of how hard he was thinking. The lights were off, although there was no way for her to know it, and he didn’t turn to look at her when she walked in.

“It’s late,” she said softly, not seeing how the soft glow from the moon cast shadows about her, and cast shadows over him, “Come to bed.”

“I will.”

They both breathed, everything unsaid between them drowning out even Dark’s brooding. Daizi scratched near her hairline and then rubbed her face, but although he knew she was standing there, he could not look at her.

“Can I sit with you, then?”

Dark swallowed, not really sure if being around someone was something he wanted, just then. He had sat alone for a reason. He had sought out solitude. And he almost said no, he nearly expressed he would prefer some space… But it was his wife. And he heard the concern in her voice, so he mumbled in affirmative, but did not look at her when he felt her sit down on the other end of the couch. He knew she knew something was going on with him. She knew he knew she knew. And he knew that, too.

Daizi had caught him lying in their bed, his hands tucked tightly under him, and gripping the blanket with his mouth, doing his best to keep himself safe. Then, she had sat beside him and rubbed his back until he calmed down, but she had also told him they were going to need to talk about this. Another thing they both knew, and dreaded, was this was it. What they didn’t know was how to start. Somehow it was easier with the twins: looking at their problems and talking them through it had always seemed manageable, if difficult, and sometimes draining. Even if the problems weren’t easy to fix, then at least finding a way to get them talking about it, typically, was. Dark was a more difficult lock to pick, and easing him into it took so much more from her, because she loved him so much. They were too close to each other, and Daizi knew perfectly well it was her job to speak first. As they sat together on the couch, they both knew they weren’t upset at each other. They weren’t in a fight, they weren’t arguing, they weren’t in a contest of wills. Dark even knew, deep down, that maybe, maybe, he even wanted to talk, But if he had known what to say, he’d have done so already. If he could find the way up, he’d have surfaced. So she had to dive to him, instead.

Xander made his way downstairs, walking quietly to not wake Ivy or Enkidu. He didn't realize Dark and Daizi were down in the living room until he nearly reached the bottom of the stairs. He froze. He could feel the tension in the air. Were they in some kind of fight? He hesitated, trying to decide if he should stay or go.

“When you go away,” she asked, referring to when he disassociated, “where do you go?” That was a start. It wasn’t the first time she’d asked a question like that, although his answer wasn’t always the same. After a long pause, he answered her:

“I do not think I have been going anywhere.”

“What is it like, then?”

Again, he paused, and he shifted his heavy body. The soft sounds of his clothing rubbing against the upholstery were all that punctured the evening, “It is like…” he exhaled slowly, “everything is still there, but I am outside of it all. I can see it, and hear it, but I do not feel it, anymore.”

“Like in the Pink Floyd song?” Daizi asked, facing him with her entire body.

“What do you mean?”

“In Comfortably Numb: My hands felt just like two balloons, now I’ve got that feeling once again.”

I can’t explain, you would not understand,” He finished the line, and nodded, a small, sad smile breaking the mask he always wore, “Yes, I suppose it is like that.”

Daizi chewed her bottom lip, fighting the urge to move closer to him. All she wanted to do was throw her arms around him and hold him tightly until these feelings were abated, but she knew it didn’t work like that. They had loved each other for over two decades. She knew it didn’t work like that, and she knew it wouldn’t help. “Have you told Dr. Emerson?”

“Told him what?”

“That you’ve been struggling again.”

Finally, Dark glanced at her, but looked away immediately after seeing the look on her face. He hated seeing the concern on her face. He hated being loved. And he hated it because it meant he had to see the way she hurt when he did, and because of all the love he had for her, he couldn’t ignore it. “No.”

“Why not?”

“Because,” He replied, a little more forcefully than he intended to before dropping his head into his illustrated hands, “Because I do not want him to be disappointed in me.”

Daizi moved ever so slightly closer to him, although she still resisted the urge to touch him. It was one of the hardest things she ever had to do, because she knew when he was in the midst of a relapse like he was, talking about it was hard enough, and he needed touch to be entirely on his own terms. “Why would he be disappointed?”

“He was proud of me.” He answered, pressing the heel of his hands against his eyes, “For all of last year, through everything we went through: the twins, Ivy, Declan, our neighbor, through all of that, he told me how impressed he was with how I was handling it. With how I was coping. And now—” His voice caught in his throat and his fingers tightened around his hair.

“Dark,” Daizi murmured, again moving closer to him, “I’m still proud of you. I’m still impressed by you. I don’t think any less of you because you’re struggling right now, and I know your therapist wouldn’t either.”

He turned away from her again, “You do not understand.”

“What don’t I understand?” She asked gently, this time not moving, since he had moved away. In response, Dark dropped his hands and looked up at the vaulted ceiling of the house they had designed.

“I do not know,” he said, his voice thin and forced as he desperately sought for any suitable answer, because he wanted to answer her. He wanted to know what was in his head, but it had grown so grim in there, “Daizi, I…”

“What?”

“I cannot…” He inhaled sharply, forcing his lungs full of oxygen so he could speak, “I am not happy. Do not flinch, I love you. I love you, and I love Ivy, and Alec, and Xander, and our dog. I am not happy, but I am not unhappy with you.”

There wasn’t a moment where Daizi believed he meant he was unhappy in their relationship even before he corrected himself, but hearing the words, and hearing the pain in her voice put her heart into a crucible. “Well I know you’re unhappy, Goose. That’s why I’m so worried about you.” She swallowed hard, attempting to not get choked up, “What’s going on? If you know, and can say.”

These were not questions he wanted to answer. Except that wasn’t true, it wasn’t that he didn’t want to answer them, it was that he didn’t know how to, and he didn’t want to hear her heart break as he tried. It took him a long time to think before he answered her, “I feel like… there is too much. I cannot hold all of it in my hands,” as he said this, he lifted his hands as if he were trying to carry water in them, “I cannot carry it on my back.”

“I could carry some of it.” She offered, barely speaking above a whisper. Unable to take it any longer, rested one slender hand on his shoulder. He didn’t pull away. “What are you struggling to hold?”
Despite what he may have wanted, no words came out of Dark’s mouth when he attempted to speak. Not at first. Then, in the closest his rich, low voice could come to a squeak, he forced out the words, “I am so scared.”

Xander nearly breathed out harshly but caught himself and put a hand over his mouth. There were times he felt confident in his understanding of Arabic, but this time he wasn't so sure. He hoped he was wrong. He lowered himself down to sit still and silent, listening intently to Dark and Daizi's conversation without one thought of invading their privacy. That would come later. For now, he clung to the floor as he listened. Dark was struggling and scared? Why? What was he stuggling with exactly? Why was he scared? He needed to hear Daizi coax it out of him!

“Of what?”

“Of—” He sighed in deep frustration, because there was so much he needed to say, and so much weighing him down, but there weren’t any words that could express it.

But Daizi only rubbed his back and murmured to him, “Take your time. I’m not going anywhere: you’re my husband. There is nothing I wouldn’t help you carry.”

This encouragement calmed him just enough to let him think, because while she sat beside him, rubbing his back with one hand, he had, if nothing else, the assurance that she would sit and wait until his thoughts were even slightly more organized, and as he thought through everything, his breathing stuttered and his vision blurred. Not for the last time did their shared silence become the loudest voice in the room, until he managed to say, “That I am failing to be the man I aspire to be. That is what I am scared of.” He gasped quietly for air, “I keep looking into the mirror, and I see my father’s face, even though he died years younger than I am now. But I still see him.”

“You’re not your father,” Daizi tried to assure him, taking one of his hands in hers while leaving her other on his back, “You’re nothing like him. You have to know that.”

“You were not there,” He breathed, looking at her with wide, wild eyes, “When we had that incident outside of the school, when I hit that man, you were not there. I knocked him to the ground, and then I turned to Alec and Xander, and they were terrified of me. They looked at me like they thought I could hurt them, like they thought I would. And every time I catch a glimpse of myself since then I see his face, and I know he is who they saw. That is all they saw, and he is still inside of me.”

“Dark,” Daizi pleaded, accidentally digging her nails into his skin, risking his stitches although she didn’t realize it, “You are their hero. You saved them. And you have grown up to be a man who would have protected you when you were a child. That is what is inside you.”

“I—” Again, he gasped for air, gripping her hand a little bit too tightly, and stammered until breaking down in ragged, pained sobs. Everything he had been holding in and unable to process came pouring out of him like black rain, and Daizi allowed him to squeeze her hand for the first few minutes, but then let go of his hand so she could, instead, pull his head to her shoulder, propping herself up on her knees so she could try to be bigger than him. Desperately, he grabbed at her, like she was Francesca, he had finally caught her in the Lover’s Storm, and the winds seemed apt to blow them apart again. She kissed the side of his head, but then tipped her chin upwards to take her own desperate breath.

“I feel so lost,” he cried, curling his illustrated fingers against her skin, “I feel so lost.”

She sniffed and nodded her head, holding him as fiercely as she could manage, “I know. But I’m looking for you, and I’m going to find you. Just wait for me, because I’m coming. I’m going to find you.”

He sobbed until he couldn’t anymore. His wife’s tears splashed against his hair and trickled down his cheek, but Dark couldn’t feel them. It was shared grief, they weren’t different from his own. But then the river dried up, his grip loosened, and he sat back, but not so far he left her embrace, and he didn’t let her go. His breathing was still shuddering, and he felt small, and frail, but he was able to say, “I feel like I am missing most of Ivy’s life, and every day I go to work, even though I know how my students and coworkers value me, it still… crushes me.”
“Then quit.”

Of anything he feared she might say when he admitted that piece of what was destroying him, that was not the response he expected to hear.
“What?”

“Quit. Don’t go back next year.”

This was it. This was when they'd start tearing apart. This was when they started drifting and moving apart. This was when it all fell down, just like he'd always known. Xander looked away from the scene below him and stared down at the stairs. It was gone. It was done.

They were still talking. They hadn't stopped. Daizi hadn't moved away from Dark. Dark hadn't pulled away from Daizi. Xander looked back to see them together, Daizi on her knees holding Dark in a position that branded itself in his mind for years to come. Dark was crying. Fully sobbing and crying, and Daizi held him, not moving or pulling away in the slightest.

And she thought he should quit? But... women left men who lost their jobs. Men left their families after they lost heir jobs. He didn't know why, that was just what happened, but... she didn't? She encouraged him?

Back