How Green Becomes Wood

"You are kidding me." Dark said blandly, "You do not know Calvin & Hobbes either?"

"Those are those comics you used to read, right?" Daizi asked.

~~

"I've seen tigers at the zoo before, but she really drives home just how big they are," Cooger said.
 
The twins shook their heads. "Nope. Never heard of them. Are they like superheroes or something weird?" They fully expected their father to say Calvin and Hobbes was some sort of extremely artistic comic, likely dark or inappropriate for kids.

~~

Lex handed back his phone. "I haven't been to the zoo here, or any zoo in a long time. I'd forgotten how big those kitties were!"
 
"No," Dark replied, almost disgusted at the thought, "Well, sometimes Calvin dresses up as a superhero, but no! It is by Bill Watterson, they are comics about a six-year-old boy named Calvin and his stuffed tiger, Hobbes. My English teacher had me read them because they're good for vocabulary and English sarcasm."

~~

"I think it goes without saying I love the cats at the zoo," Cooger said, "but I'm just a fan of the zoo overall."
 
"Oooohhhh," the twins chorused.

"So, it's thanks to a boy and his stuffed tiger that you understand teenagers today?" Xander asked, smirking.

~~

Lex grinned at him, covered in dust and with her hair sticking out wildly from under the bandana she'd used to try to keep it clean, her overalls smudged with some unknown fluid from the parts she'd been moving. "You know, it's been a long time since we had a proper date. How about we go to the zoo? Since we're both self-employed, we could even go on a weekday morning!" She said it like it was a shocking thing to even suggest.
 
"No, it is thanks to a little boy and his tiger that taught me wit," Dark replied, "They are very good comics."

~~

"That would be great," Cooger smiled as he moved a piece of wood, "They have an experience where you can touch a rhino now, I've been wanting to check it out."
 
"I guess that means we have to read them now," Alec said cheerfully. He crouched down and put his hand, spread wide, near the tiger's paw. "Wow. My brain still doesn't want to accept this as being real."

~~

"It's a date!" Lex said and kissed his cheek before tackling the next pile. "Where's that sheet metal you said was in here?"
 
Back
Top