In the car, since it was her turn, Daizi put on some music, and settled back in her seat and hummed along as they drove home. Like she often did, she reached over and rubbed little circles on the back of Dark's neck and on his shoulders. At red lights, he sometimes held her hand. There wasn't much to say: it had been a good day. They were tired, somewhat dreading their evening chores, but glad for it all.
Once they made it home, Ivy was brought inside and lay down in her crib upstairs, while Enkidu was fed, walked, and loved. Their home was quiet but comfortable. It wasn't quite late enough for adults, or near adults, to go to bed, but it was near enough to then for anything productive. While Daizi showered, Dark settled down on the couch and went through the pictures he had taken, sending them off to the relevant family members.
Then, finally, he stretched and went upstairs to get ready for bed, passing by his wife who was lying in their bed, her hair still damp.
"You look like a painting," Dark admired.
"Stop," She chuckled but only slightly changed her position.
"What are you doing?"
"Just thinking."
"Only good things, I hope," Dark told her as he went into the bathroom while Daizi made some comment teasing him for being an optimist.
When he came out of the bathroom and climbed into bed, like a magnet Daizi rolled over and cuddled against him, resting her head on his chest.
"I hate when you get into bed with wet hair," Dark grumbled sweetly, running his fingers through it anyway, although it tangled more easily.
"You came up sooner than I thought you would," She shrugged, shutting her eyes.
"Let me braid it for you, at least."
"Not just yet, I don't want to sit up," Daizi sighed, snuggling closer against him. Since she was much too cute to argue against, Dark simply pulled the blanket over her and held her in the arms. Their sleepy, comfortable silence was only broken by Daizi asking, "Are you happy, Goose?" Dark's eyes flew open but only managed to begin a stumbled question in response before Daizi said, "I didn't mean it like that, I'm sorry it came out wrong!"
"I can think of few more anxiety inducing questions than that," He told her.
"I know, I'm sorry! I just... I just meant that I am happy. It just occurred to me today... I don't remember the last time I cried. I used to cry all the time, but now... and I don't even remember when I stopped." She yawned, snuggling in against him. "I'm happy, Goose."
Her tone was so sleepy and cozy, it made Dark's throat tighten. All he could do was hug her tightly and say, "I love you, Daizi."
"I love you too," Daizi hummed, kissing whichever part of him was nearest. It wasn't lost on her that he hadn't used her nickname. "Are you happy, Goose?"
He thought this question over. Happiness had never been an uncomplicated emotion for him, but... It wasn't really a complicated answer. Not this time. "Yes, I am. I really am."
"Do you still worry about when the next catastrophe will be?"
This, too, was an uncomplicated answer, "Yes, I do."
"I don't anymore," Daizi admitted, relishing in the sound of his heartbeat, "Not really. I think we're okay, and I'm glad I get to be with you."
"You are the only one I would ever want to be with." Dark told her, and they spoke sweetly to one another as lovers do until they fell asleep exactly as they lay, wet hair be damned.