The Vampire's Apprentice

"You seem troubled and distracted as well as tired," Clancy replied. "Not to mention, you are not bursting to tell me about any of the fun adventures you had, such as returning to see the museum or the bell."

Ah, that. In honesty, Kitty did not want to talk about that right then, but something told her that he was going to hear it wether she wanted to speak or not.

"I didn't get any pictures, unfortunately." She said. "Sam got into some trouble with a purse dog before I had the chance. Do you want to hear about the gas stations we stopped at, or you good?"

She slowed for a moment, caught off guard by that particular question.

"Y'know some dogs are really small? Sometimes people'll put them into their purses and carry them around."

"That sounds very uncomfortable for the dog," Clancy said with a sniff. "People do some very strange things." He looked down at her. "Are you ready to tell me what is truly bothering you? Or do I have to wait longer?"

Kitty rubbed a thumb over her elbow, thinking. "I dunno how I'd say it if I could. It'd sound bad if I tried, even though it isn't."

"It is alright," Clancy reassured her. "You can tell me, and I will now understand it is not supposed to be bad no matter how it sounds." He smirked a little at the odd sentence.

"That doesn't make it not sound bad," she replied, but relented. "Norville was really irritable this morning and kinda tried to pick a fight with one of the guards at the Liberty Bell over the value of how it was rung." Kitty scratched her head, "Something about not being rung by the clapper made it false.... But I don't know why he was annoyed, even though he apologized. So, I'm concerned."

"Ah, I see," Clancy nodded. "That is something I need to know about, no matter how bad it sounds. Thank you for telling me." He cocked his head. "He has not been smoking since we left, has he?"

"If he hasn't, and I believe he has not, then he is in withdrawal," Clancy told her with a faint smile. "It will not be pleasant for him, or you, really, but hopefully things will be better once it is out of his system."

Clancy stared at her for a long moment. "How does someone with so much book knowledge and a shaky past manage to be so naive?" he murmured, seeming to be asking himself more than Kitty. "No, withdrawal is not like denial. Well, I suppose you could say it is in that he is denying himself or being denied a drug that his body and brain are accustomed to receiving, and therefore is becoming somewhat sick because of it."

She returned his gaze, slightly annoyed by the comment. "I know what it is," Kitty rephrased. "I was asking what it does."

"Hmm, it depends on the person, of course," Clancy said as he started walking again. "Males tend to suffer a little less than females, though that is not a given. Most commonly, those in withdrawal of this particular drug will suffer from irritability, lack of appetite, nausea, abdominal pain, insomnia, restlessness, and, of course, intense cravings. It could last up to two weeks, but again, it is dependant upon the person and how long they've been addicted."

"Hmmm...." Kitty was making a mental list of things he ratted off, but forgot about half of them almost immediately. "Do you think he'll be alright?"

"Of course!" Clancy replied calmly. "Though you might have to nag him to eat and have to put up with some highly irritable behavior on his part. Just try to remember that it is not entirely his fault. If it gets to be too much, let me know, and we shall reassess."

"OK," she agreed, nodding. There was one other thing that had been on her mind for several days, but since they were already at the room, Kitty did not ask.

Clancy paused next to the door and studied Kitty. Softly, to ensure no one on the other side of door could hear, he asked, "Are you certain you are alright, Miss Kitty?"

Back